Thursday, September 10, 2015

Fall Reading 2015


As I look out my living room window, the sun is shining and the air feels like a pleasant mid-summer day.  Except that I also see the leaves starting to turn (I think a large part of them turning is due to the lack of rain the southwest region of BC has had since May; the largest dump of rain was the last few days of August and there wasn't much during the winter or early spring as well).

But it also means that, at least here in Canada, that Thanksgiving is just right around the corner (its about 4 weeks until we eat the festive bird and everything that goes with a Thanksgiving meal) and that general federal election is finally nearing its end (yay!) and means that there will be a change in who lives at 24 Sussex Drive (that is where the Prime Minister of Canada lives, for those that don't live in Canada).

And it means that I start up my jobs again and settle into reading for the fall season, even though I know that Fall (or Autumn) doesn't start in the Northern Hemisphere for a few more weeks.

So here are the selections that I hope to read this coming fall:

• Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
• The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
• Tell the Wolves I am Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
• The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
• The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
• Peace Shall Destroy Many by Rudy Wiebe
• Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
• The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
When Courage Calls by Janette Oke & Laurel Oke Logan
• The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
• Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews
• Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

I realize that this is a big list and there is one reason this is the case: this event runs from September 10 until December 10, I have a lot of time to read these books, or at least I think I do.  Some of these will be quicker reads than others, but hopefully I will get most done.  If you wish to find out more information, you can hop on to A Daily Rhythm, where Jenn has more information than I have provided.  Happy reading!

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...