Monday, February 23, 2015

Saying goodbye to a dear friend


Tonight I am starting to say goodbye to a dear friend.  A friend that has endured my wrath at times, has my fingerprints all over it, has a hole in it (no clue how that happened), has a few pieces of duct tape on it, has been yelled at and spat on, etc.  I am talking about a friend that I have taken to Alberta on a few occasions, took to Whitehorse a few years ago, went to Arizona a few years back and discovered The Office while in a darkened bedroom one morning when I had ran out of shows to watch, and has spent a lot of time going back and forth between my home in Abbotsford and my vacation time at Sun Peaks.  It has been there when I couldn't sleep at 2 am and when I had been banished to my bedroom and has even been hidden underneath my bed at times.  It even was taken with me one time to work one day when the fire alarm went off as I was leaving for work.  I have played many games on it for many hours and has given me countless hours of entertainment by watching videos and listening to music and podcast.  I even experienced the Olympics on four different occasions with this friend.  It saw my growth as a blogger and has been with me when my favourite team lost in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.

I don't know when this friend will be replaced, probably in the next day or two, but it will be a sad moment when I go to pick up its replacement.  I had hoped to bring it to Europe in about a year and a half, but that won't be happening and only experienced Europe through the photos of my parents.  I have downloaded countless hours of podcasts through this friend and have enjoyed every minute of them and it was able to experience 4 different devices (2 iPods and 2 iPhones).  A number of the parts have been replaced and are starting to break down.

I realize that my friend isn't human, but when you get a laptop in May 2008 and its the first computer you pay for, you become attached to it and it does become a friend.

So hopefully the computer below will become just as dear to me as the one above.

Many trails, MacBook; you gave me lots of happiness and joy, especially when I watched Matthew propose to Mary back in 2012 and may you find happiness in computer heaven...

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...