Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

Title: The Perks of Being a Wallfloer
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Pages: 213
Published: 1999
Challenges: I Love Libraries, Blogger Summer Reading
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult
Edition: Paperback
Source: Library

Description: Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. (from Goodreads)

Thoughts: This book has been on my TBR for a number of years, but for one reason or another, I was just unable to get around to reading it, but after hearing a number of times on a number of podcasts, I knew I had to read it.

I felt that for the first little bit of the book was a bit slower than I had expected it to be, but once I was engrossed in Charlie's world, I was hooked and had a hard time pulling myself away from the book.

What I really liked was the letter format of the story and how it gave the reader a really good insight into the mind of a person who is struggling to find their place in a world that doesn't really seem to have room for those who tend to contemplate the things that are pressed upon them, with little or no warning, that makes life a little more complicated for them.  

Bottom line:  If you don't pull any punches and is a fairly quick read, I would recommend this book.  I would also recommend this book for teens who just want to make sense of the world around them.  Highly recommended.

Rating: 4.25/5

Pages for 2014: 12,816

If you have read the book, what did you think of it?

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...