Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

Title: A Game of Thrones (Song of Fire and Ice #1)
Author: George R.R. Martin
Pages: 837
Published: 2011 (originally published by 1996)
Challenges: Off the Shelf, Chunkster, Embarrassment of Riches, Tea &  Books, TBR Pile
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Source: Personal

Description: In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes of the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: I started with this book back in March 2012, but gave up on it after about 200 pages as I was getting more and more confused. But after a bit, I decided to give it a try again.  And I am glad I did, as I found that I got into the world that exists in the book, I actually began to get really into it.  I felt as though I became a part of that world and as though it became a part of me.  There was also a moment about half-way through the book where I started see scenes from the TV series in the book and I could see why people have gotten into not only the TV show, but also the series.  I am just waiting for the boys on Big Bang Theory to talk about the series at length, if at all (they seem to be more Sci-Fi than Fantasy fans).

Bottom line: I really liked it, more than I feel I can express.  When I love a book, like this one, I just love it and there really isn't an explanation for it.  Mr. Martin hit upon a certain formula in such a way like J.K. Rowling did with the Harry Potter series that makes this series so enjoyable not only watch on my screen but also something that I enjoy reading.  While I really did enjoy the book, I would probably recommend this for readers who liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy or the Harry Potter series

Rating: 5/5

Pages for 2013: 11553

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...