Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Whole Truth - Kit Pearson

Title: The Whole Truth : a novel
Author: Kit Pearson
Pages: 336
Published: 2012 (first published 2011)
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Canadian
Challenges: Historical
Edition: Paperback
Source: Library

Description: It is 1932. Polly and her older sister, Maud, travel by train and boat from Winnipeg to an island between Vancouver and Victoria. Polly will live with their grandmother, the sisters? new guardian, and attend the small school on the island, while Maud will go to boarding school in Victoria.

Their extended family welcomes the girls warmly. New-school jitters give way to new friendships and even a new puppy, and slowly Polly feels that she is becoming part of a larger family she never knew until now.

But Polly and Maud have a dramatic secret, and they have promised each other never to tell anyone. A surprise arrival on the island, however, threatens Polly?s newfound happiness and tests the bonds of family love. Can Polly keep the secret and her new life on the island?

Thoughts: When I saw this book come through a book box this past September at work, I knew I had to read this book.  When I was about 12, I read my first Kit Perason book and she quickly became a favourite author of mine.  Sure the book was probably a tad predictable, but just like the other books that I have read of hers, I enjoyed it and was fully satisfied with the book.  It took me awhile to read the book, but once I was able to really get going with the book, I was able to get through it quite quickly and just couldn't shake it.

Bottom line: I would probably recommend this for readers starting at around age 9 and for those of us adults who grew up with her books and just enjoy being transported to a time and place that they didn't get to experience.  Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5

Pages for 2013: 6680

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...