Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Top Ten Favourites Melissa (me) Has Read during the lifetime of her blog

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish, where book bloggers share their Top Ten lists on everything bookish. This week is top ten books I have read since I have started my blog.  I am not going to include Harry Potter because they will always be on my top ten and the list will have no particular order, just that they are my top ten.

1) The Sister Queens (5/5) - Heard some good things about this book and wasn't disappointed.

2) The Help (4/5) - Started a little slow, but really gained a lot of momentum towards the end.  Chocolate pie anybody?

3) The Language of Flowers (4.25/5) - Got a good recommendation from Books on the Nightstand last year and wasn't disappointed.

4) The Hunger Games (4.5/5) - Despite the psychological stuff that I couldn't get over during the reading of the book, I really liked it.

5) My Life in France (5/5) - A really fascinating look at the life of Paul and Julia Child and how they made France their second home.

6) The Kitchen Counter Cooking School (4/5) - Really didn't know what to expect out of this book and was pleasantly surprised.  Am planning on getting the paperback copy this coming fall.

7) The Tea Rose (4/5), The Winter Rose (4/5), The Wild Rose (3.5/5) - Love the historical scope of the series and honestly kinda miss it.  It was weird watching the Olympics knowing that the setting of the first two books took place in that neighbourhood. 

8) A Great and Terrible Beauty (4/5) and Rebel Angels (4/5) - Liked how the books drew me in and were quite engrossing by the end of the book.  Am looking forward to reading the final book in the series this coming fall.

9) Blood, Bones & Butter (4/5) - Really enjoyed reading about why she became a chef and her life in general.  Another recommendation from Books on the Nightstand.

10) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (4/5) - Very much worth the read and has stayed with me since I read the book in 2011.

Honorable mentions:
At Home by Bill Bryson - Loved reading about the history of the home and found it interesting why certain things exist within our homes today.

Juliet: a novel by Anne Fortier - As a fan of Romeo & Juliet, really liked this story of how the legend came to be.

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly - Yet another Book on the Nightstand recommendation; loved the play between the past and the present.

Room by Emma Donoghue - Definitely one of the best books I have read since I started my blog.  Read this book just as the Jaycee Dugard case was unfolding.

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...