Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday Salon - Busy week of reading

I can't believe that its the final week of June!  Feels like only last week that I was watching the Flotilla on the Thames!  And yet somehow we have ended up here at the end of the June.

For me, I have one more week at work until I am on vacation for the summer, but I have a lot of work before then, as I have to corral as many books from students as I possibly can before they are let out on Wednesday afternoon.  And I need to finish a 500-page book for a book tour post on Friday.  But with little to do (and watch) in the evenings,  I should be able to get the book done.

That isn't to say that this past week was also a busy reading week, as I was able to get up three book reviews up, which is not normal for me.  I had been working on one of them for quite sometime, as the book did get bogged down in architectural details and made the most interesting part of the book not as long as I had hoped that it would be.  This amount of reading resulted in me spending yesterday evening watching the Prohibition series by Ken Burns that appeared on PBS last fall, as I couldn't bring myself to read anything significant after reading Catching Fire for about 4 or 5 days.  I am hoping I won't feel the same way this time next week, but honestly I doubt it.  Its not that I didn't enjoy Catching Fire, its that it played with me psychologically and made me want to scream out "No!" on more than one occasion and forced me to take breaks from the book because of the mental toll it took on me.

Book Reviews:
1) How to Eat a Cupcake: a novel by Meg Donohue (review)
2) The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson (review)
3) Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (review)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...