Friday, June 1, 2012

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J.K. Rowling
Pages: 636
Published: 2000
Challenges: 2012 Harry Potter Reading Challenge
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Edition: Hardcover and audiobook
Source: Library

Description: It is the summer holidays, and one night Harry Potter wakes up with his scar burning. He has had a strange dream, one that he can't help worrying about...until a timely invitation from Ron Weasley arrives: to nothing less than the Quidditch World Cup!

Soon Harry is reunited with Ron and Hermione and gasping at the thrills of an international Quidditch match. But then something horrible happens which casts a shadow over everybody, and Harry in particular... (via Goodreads)


Thoughts:  Even though I really enjoyed the book as much as I did the last time I read it about 6 months ago, I had a little bit of an issue reading it and had some problems getting around to reading it.  I suppose a lot had to do with the fact that I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount I needed to read.  But considering I spent about 10 hours on Tuesday reading it, I would think that I enjoyed it and was gripped by the story, even though it has been about 12 years since the book was published.

Bottom line:  Really enjoyed the book and it was a nice bridge between lighter fair that I didn't enjoy and something that I am really enjoying at the moment.  The writing is more mature in nature and not as light and childlike as the first three books in the Harry Potter series and there is a notable shift in the tone, in that it becomes clearly darker and the shift to what happens at the end of the series is quite easily noted.

Rating: 5/5

Pages for 2012: 10440


No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...